What foods should 60 years old people eat?
When you get older, you are more likely to have health issues or other problems. To stay healthy as you age, you should do regular exercise and eat a healthy and balanced diet that gives you the nutrients that your body needs.
- Proteins to build and maintain muscles. Older adults should avoid meat with too much fat or skin. You should get protein from:
• Fish. This is a source of good protein. It is easy to digest and has low fat.
• Egg. You should eat an egg a day. Egg is very nutritional. If you have a high cholesterol level, eat only the egg white.
• Milk. You should drink a glass of milk a day. It is rich in protein and calcium.
• Dried beans. They are high in protein and can replace meat.
- Carbohydrates to give you energy. Older adults need only a small amount of carbohydrates. You should only take about two ladles of rice or starches. Avoid dessert.
- Minerals. You should eat several kinds of vegetables to help your digestion and bowel movements.
- Vitamins. You should eat fruits every day to get vitamin C and dietary fiber. Fruits with soft texture such as ripe papayas or bananas are ideal. Fruits with very sweet taste should be avoided.
- Fats. Although older adults need only a small amount of fat, it is still very important to eat the right amount of the right types of fats to stay healthy. It is recommended that you cook with soybean oil or sunflower oil because they are rich in unsaturated fats, especially linoleic acid which helps control cholesterol, reduce inflammation and protect against heart disease.
Apart from eating a balanced diet, you should still exercise regularly and not excessively so as not to cause any injury. You should also drink 6-8 glasses of water daily to carry nutrients to your cells and improve skin complexion. You should avoid tea, coffee, and alcoholic drinks.